December 1st is my vegan-anniversary. The day I celebrate making one of my proudest decisions. I usually like to go out to my favourite restaurant but since we are living in covid times, I settled for making my own dinner and treat. Dinner was so boring that I already forget what I made, but I didn’t forget this cake as Bruno and I were eating it all week. It was HUGE! But so delicious.
Please don’t be fooled. This cake is by no means healthy. But it is cruelty-free and tasty, so sometimes it’s okay to give ourselves a little treat!
- 1 cup unsweetened soy milk (soy works best with the apple cider vinegar to create a buttermilk)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 3/4 cups coconut sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 cup coconut oil or canola oil
- 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup hot water water
CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups vegan butter sticks
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
* Sidenote. I added 10 crumbled Oreos in the batter and another 10 crumbled Oreos in the icing
- Preheat oven at 350 and line 2 small baking dishes or 1 large rectangle baking dish, depending if you are making a double layer cake or a single layer.
- Mix the soy milk and apple cider vinegar in a small bowl and let curdle.
- Mix all the other cake ingredients in a large mixing bowl. I used a kitchen aid mixer.
- Add the soy milk/vinegar at the end.
- Mix everything together.
It’ll be liquid-ey but that’s normal. Add to baking dish(s) and bake at 350 for 35 minutes.
Mix icing with hand mixer or large kitchen aid mixer. Let the cake cool off completely before adding icing.
This can be a double layer or one large single layer cake. Either way, you are guaranteed to love it. Enjoy!