I don’t normally enjoy savory treats. I have a natural sweet tooth by nature, but during this “stay-at-home” duration, I have tried to experiment more with savory foods. I made savory dinner pancakes which you can find on my website, and now I tested out red pepper, spinach and cheese scones. They are thick and filling, but delicious. Eat them right from the oven with some butter melted on top, or reheat them the next day for a fresh feel. Enjoy!
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup of cheese shreds
- 1 cup of spinach, chopped
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 cups of spelt flour
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup of butter or margarine, I used oat butter
- 1/2 cup of “milk”, I used oat milk
- Sprinkle of salt and garlic
- Preheat oven at 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a frying pan, add some olive oil on medium heat and add in your onions and cook for 2 minutes, until they start to brown. Add in the red peppers for another 2 minutes, then the spinach until it wilts, maybe 1-2 minutes. It shouldn’t take long. Remove from your frying pan and let it cool while you prepare the rest.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine your flour and baking powder then add your butter in small chunks at a time. Use your fingers to combine the butter with the flour mix. Add in your vegetable mixture, your “milk” and your cheese. It will be a very thick consistency; you may want to continue to use your hands to mix everything together.
- Take your mixture to a floured surface once it is combined well and create a rectangle with it by patting it down. Brush some butter on the top as well as a sprinkle of salt and garlic before cutting that rectangle into 8 chunks.
- Place the 8 chunks onto your baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes, or until they start to go golden brown.