Thank you to my old neighbour Ariane for the inspiration to try Savory pancakes! Here is a recipe from Veganhuggs.com and I added the carrots and sausage.
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed mixed with 5 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 cups of any plant-based milk alternative (I used oat milk)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1 cup non-dairy cheese shreds (I used Daiya)
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped
- 1 cup of shredded carrots
- 2 vegan sausages (I used Field Roast Italian sausages)
- Mix your ground flax and water in a small bowl and set aside.
- In another small bowl, mix the “milk” and apple cider vinegar. This will act as your buttermilk.
- While these settle, cook your sausages according to their directions.
- Take a large mixing bowl and mix your dry ingredients together with the melted butter, adding the “buttermilk” mix and flax egg last. Fold in the cheese, onions and carrots and mix well.
- When your sausage is cooked, cut it up and add it to your pancake mix.
- Put some vegan butter into your frying pan on medium heat and let it warm up before scooping pancake batter into the pan. Flip the pancake when it starts to bubble and cook until it’s golden brown.
I enjoyed these with a little bit of maple syrup, my husband enjoyed them with just a bit of butter. They were great! Enjoy!