This is my second attempt at a potato and carrot cheese sauce for a mac and cheese dish. Both times worked wonderfully, but I loved the addition of baking this dish. I used quinoa pasta from GoGo Quinoa, to give this dish a fair amount of protein. I also added kale, but adding peas would be a good alternative and another additional source of protein. It was a bit of a mess to clean my blender of sticky cheese sauce, but the delicious dinner I had made it worth it! Give it a try and let me know how you enjoy it.
- 2 cups of potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup of carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1/3 cup of olive oil
- 1/2 cup of milk of your choice (I used oat)
- 1/2 cup of nutritional yeast
- Juice from one lemon
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Sprinkle of salt
- 2 (big) handfuls of kale, cleanly washed and chopped
- 450-gram bag of macaroni pasta
- 1 cup of bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons of melted “butter”
- Preheat oven at 350F.
- Boil the potatoes and carrots in a large pot of water until they are tender. This should take about 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, cook your pasta according to the directions on the package. Drain it in cold water afterwards, and set it aside until the sauce is ready.
- Drain your potatoes and carrots once they are soft, and put them in your blender. Add in the rest of the sauce ingredients; olive oil, “milk”, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, garlic powder and salt. Blend everything together until it is smooth.
- Mix your cooked pasta and cheese sauce together in a large bowl, adding in the chopped kale little by little.
- Spread the mixture out in a casserole dish and prepare your bread crumb topping by simply mixing your melted butter with your bread crumbs. Sprinkle this on top of the mac and cheese in your casserole dish and put it in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Let it cool off and enjoy!