Let’s face it. So many of us have gone into baking and cooking frenzies to help us pass the time as we are stuck inside our homes during this pandemic. I bake at least one thing a day. and that means i have to eat it afterwards as well. which i don’t mind doing as long as it tastes good. so this banana PB&J bread is for all you guys sitting at home looking for something fun to make and eat. this is a healthy and nutritious snack for you and your kids, and the kids (and adults) will love it because it tastes like a peanut butter and jam sandwich! enjoy!
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 4 very brown bananas
- 2 chia eggs; 2 tablespoons chia seeds mixed with 6 tablespoons of water
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup jam (I used raspberry)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and line a loaf pan or in my case, a mini loaf pan. Mix flour, baking powder and baking soda in a large mixing bowl. In a small bowl mix chia seeds and water and give it a minute or two to jellify.
- In a bowl another bowl, mix together your chia eggs, bananas, coconut sugar, peanut butter, applesauce, and vanilla extract until combined. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and stir them together, until it’s combined.
- Scoop batter into half of each small loaf insert, or fill your big loaf pan half full. I use an ice cream scooper for this. Drop a spoon full of jam on top of that batter in the loaf pan, and spread it with a knife. Scoop the remaining batter on top of the jam. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes if you have a big loaf or 45 minutes if you are using a mini loaf pan. You will know it’s ready with a fork or pick comes out clean when you poke it.
- Cool completely! Once the bread is cool, melt the 2 tablespoons of peanut butter, and 2 tablespoons of jelly in the microwave for about 15 seconds. Being so careful, because the jelly turns to liquid, and drizzle it on top! Slice and enjoy.