Christmas is just around the corner and if your anything like me, you are scrambling to get gifts and Christmas treats in order. This Christmas morning breakfast bake (or any morning breakfast bake as I have made it twice in 2 weeks), is sure to bring the taste of Christmas into your mouth! It’s a festive breakfast bake that is nourishing and delicious. Give it a try and let me know what you think!
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter (I used becel)
- 4 whole Anjou pears, thinly sliced
- 1 cup frozen cranberries
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups plant based milk (I used oat milk)
- 1 chia egg (1 tablespoon chia seeds and 3 tablespoons water)
- 1/3 cup unsulphured molasses
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375℉ and prepare a 9×9 square casserole dish
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add the pears and cranberries, and saute until the pears are tender and some of the cranberries start to burst, this should take about 5 minutes. Add your brown sugar and stir until it coats the fruit. Transfer the mixture to the bottom of your prepared baking dish.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix the oats and baking powder and sprinkle it evenly over the fruit in the casserole dish.
- In a small bowl, whisk together your chia egg and let it sit and gellify (Is that a word?)
- In a mixing bowl mix together milk, molasses, and spices until combined. Add your jelly chia egg last. Pour this mixture evenly over the oats and fruit.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until just set and the mixture no longer jiggles in the center. Serve warm or prepare it all the night before and let it sit in the fridge overnight, then bake it in the morning before eating!