These thick granola bars are a great alternative to the processed, store bought “chocolate” bars that pose as granola bars. There are no extra ingredients added, no sugar and nothing artificial, just natural goodness! I loved the hint of cinnamon combined with the peanut butter and chocolate. A great breakfast bar or a snack for a busy day.
- 1 1/3 cup of oat flour
- 1 tablespoon of ground flax meal mixed with 3 tablespoons of water
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 3 tablespoons of maple syrup
- 1/2 cup of peanut butter (Or almond butter. I used Earth Balance Crunchy)
- 1 cup of rolled oats
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 cup of chopped walnuts
- 1 cup of vegan chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life Chocolate Chunks)
Preheat the oven to 350 C and use a non-stick individual bar pan. Mix the flax and water very well in a small bowl and let it sit to thicken. While it is thickening mix together all the rest of the ingredients and add the wet flax mixture at the end.
Spoon the mixture into the bar pan and bake for 30 minutes, or until they start to turn golden brown.
These are good to be kept in the fridge for about a week or frozen for a few months. The recipe makes about 12 healthy sized bars. Enjoy!