Snacking is my life. People always ask me about what I eat in a day and big bulk of that answer is, snacks. If you are following a plant-based wholefoods diet, then everything is naturally low in calories. It also means that food is quick and easy to digest, making us hungry for more. Hence, snacks. They don’t have to be something to cut out of your diet to be healthy, it is quite the opposite. You should add more snacks to your diet, between work or activities or training. I have compiled a list of some of my favourite snacks that I really enjoy before, during and after training.
- Apples and Nut Butter (Pumpkin Seed butter is my favourite as it is the highest protein nut butter and it is high in iron)
- Trail Mix (Make your own. Throw together some dried cereals, unsalted almonds and walnuts and spice it up with some cacao nibs, raisins or goji berries)
- Here is a recipe for my favourite granola to make. Click Here
- Coconut Yogurt (My favourite is Kate Hill brand)
- Whole Wheat Pita with hummus
- Energy Balls. Here is a recipe for my favourite energy balls. Click Here
- Sweet Potato Pudding. I know, that sounds like an odd snack, but check out this post. Click Here
- Plain and simple.
- Berries topped with hemp seeds.
- Pineapple topped with hemp seeds
- Chia Pudding
- Roasted chickpeas.
Another one I love is Mini Muffins. You can create your own but here is my latest creation:
- 3 mashed bananas
- 1/4 cup of apple sauce
- 1 cup of coconut sugar
- 2 cups of oat flour (ground rolled oats into flour in a coffee grinder)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup of raisins
Mash the bananas well and mix everything else together. We filled 20 muffins in a mini muffin tin and baked for 22 minutes at 360 degrees.
Snacking and food doesn’t have the be the enemy for people trying to be in top shape. It has to be part of your training. All these ideas are low in calories, low in high but high in nutrients!!
If you have any great snacking ideas to add to my list, feel free to message me or add a comment to the post!