Welcome back to my pumpkin series!
I am so excited to have found this Starbucks inspired pumpkin scone recipe and to be able to share it with you all!
This was my first try at scones, and I used whole wheat pastry flour instead of all purpose flour. Next time I will try to use spelt flour. These scones were light and crumbly. The icing ended up being more of a glaze and less of a thick icing like I was expecting, but it still tasted great!
We have one more edition in this short pumpkin series, so stay tuned in a few days for more!!
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons milk alternative
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients and cut the butter into chunks and add that to the dry mix.
- Next, add the wet ingredients and mix with a large wooden spoon until a soft dough forms.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough a few times until it comes together. You might need to add a little bit more flour if your mix is to sticky. Flatten out your mix into a medium sized circle.
- Using a pizza cutter cut your dough as if you were cutting pizza. You should have 8 triangle shaped dough pieces.
- Place the dough triangles on your baking sheet and bake for 14-16 minutes, until lightly golden brown on top.
While your scones are baking you can prepare the icing:
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon of milk alternative
Mix this well. If it is to liquidy, add more icing sugar. Drizzle it onto the scones after they have cooled down.