Who doesn’t love crackers?
They are so versatile! You can snack on them as they are, or dip them in hummus or nut butter. You can add jam to them or dip them in soup. I really love crackers but I have a hard time finding store bought crackers that are healthy. I always look at the ingredients in my food and if there is more than one ingredient that I can’t pronounce or that I don’t know, I don’t really want to be putting that into my body. Mary’s Organic Crackers do a good job of staying natural and clean and they are my go-to snacking cracker of choice.
When I first started this vegan adventure back in 2008 I found the best website ever, www.ohsheglows.com. I found great inspiration and encouragement through Angela and I also found amazing recipes that were really easy to recreate. Her endurance crackers are no exception. With all the seeds in these crackers they provide almost endless energy and they are vegan, gluten-free, sugar-free, soy-free and nut-free so everyone can enjoy them!
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup pepita seeds (or pumpkin seeds)
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 1 cup water
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
I also added 1/4 cup of hemp seeds, 1/4 cup of cacao nibs and replaced the garlic with cinnamon and sugar.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl combine all the seeds, then add the water, spices and salt.
- Stir with a spatula until combined, then let it sit for a few minutes so the chia seeds can absorb the water.
- Stir it a little bit more, until you no longer see water at the bottom of the bowl.
- With your spatula spread your mixture across the baking sheets about 1/4-inch thickness, I use two baking sheets because the mixture is quite big.
- Bake for 35 minutes then take them out and flip them over before baking for another 25-35 minutes, or until golden brown on the edges.
- Let them cool for about 10 minutes then use a pizza slicer to cut it into rectangular type shapes, or whatever shape you’d like your cracker to be in!
It might look a little bit like bird seed but trust me, it tastes so much better than that and your body will be thankful for the clean nutrients that you’ve provided it with!