This bowl is a special discovery! I was attending the Toronto Vegan Festival in September 2014 and a wonderful family hosted me. As they prepared breakfast in the morning, I was intrigued. The man told me his creation was called the “Breakfast of Champions” but I was, in fact, the first “Champion” that ever ate his bowl. Here is how I have made my own version of the recipe.
- 2 stems of Kale, chopped up into tiny pieces
- ½ Grapefruit with the juice squeezed onto the kale (The acid in the grapefruit brings out the Vitamin C in the kale)
- 1 banana chopped up into chunks
- ¼ cup organic wild blueberries (I buy frozen, but if you can get local, it’s even better)
- 2 tbsp Goji Berries
- 1 tbsp Cacao Nibs
- 1 cup of Granola (Homemade or organic store bought granola)
Mix all of this in a bowl and add your favourite milk alternative. I prefer a blend of coconut/almond milk. You can add any superfoods you’d like; hemp seeds, chia seeds, cherries, raspberries, etc. Don’t forget to use as many organic ingredients as possible!
This breakfast bowl can fuel me for a solid 3 hours of training! It is full of protein, vitamin C, vitamin B and healthy whole grains. Try to discover your own variation of the “Breakfast of Champions”.